9 Ways to Leverage Social Media for National Health IT Week
Check out the recent NHIT Week Social Media Guide Blog to get tips on enhancing your participation. Get all you need to know about hashtags, telling an inspiring story, and educating and engaging with your community.
- Change your profile image. Join the social media community as ALL stakeholders band together and show our commitment and passion for realizing the value of health IT by changing our profiles pictures during National Health IT Week. A new image for 2017 will be launched in the coming weeks.
Grow awareness of the Value of Health IT. Produce social media communications and content that educates your audience on how you create value through health IT for patients, healthcare providers and communities. HIMSS recommends starting to produce social media communications at least one month prior to National Health IT Week to effectively reach and educate your audience.
Great social media content:
- Puts the needs of your audience before your own
- Is non-promotional
- Invites responses by asking questions
- Shares provocative, thought-leading insights
- Focuses on the value of health IT
- Celebrates the health IT community and its progress
Has a clear and engaging call to action
- Listen! Stop guessing. Take time to listen for and observe audience expectations, concerns and interests to help you be relevant and forward-thinking. Be sure to listen to:
Be present and active. Be engaged and active in your social presence during National Health IT Week to reach influencers and a larger health IT audience.
- Listen and contribute to the greater #NHITweek conversation as it unfolds on Twitter, Facebook and Google+
Network with other National Health IT Week participants through various digital and in-person events
Participate in a Twitter Chat. Join @HIMSS for a Twitter Chat during National Health IT Week. More details including scope, chat questions and special guests will be shared in the coming weeks.
Start a dialogue. Leverage National Health IT Week to create a dialogue with your audience around the value of health IT. Start a forward-thinking discussion via your LinkedIn Group, host a Google+ Hangout, post provocative (visual) content on your Facebook Page or host a Twitter Chat. Good conversations require you to:
- Connect with your audience’s needs before your own
- Listen and be open minded
- Be responsive
- Be sincere and genuine
Pen a blog post. Sharing original posts on the value of health IT from your unique perspective not only clues your audiences in on who you are, but showcases your contribution to the collective and ongoing health IT conversation. Blog posts should focus on idea sharing and avoid any mention of products or services.
Create and share visual content. Share your perspectives on the value of health IT by creating visual content about what the value of health IT means to you. Shoot a short video (less than 30 seconds), create an infographic and/or post a photo to your social channels during NHIT Week using the hashtag #NHITWeek and the HIMSS social team will retweet and feature the best ones.
Keep the buzz and engagement going post event.
- Produce a recap via an embedded social media blog post or Storify to highlight the best moments from the week. Socialize these posts by including tweets, photos from events, Facebook posts, videos, etc.
- Keep the conversations going with your audience. This means you need to be producing social media communications consistently and creating opportunities to grow the dialogue with your audience.